Thursday, September 08, 2005

Now what

J has been waking up every 2 hours for the last few days throughout the night and I can't get him to sleep past 8 (usually 7am). He had developed a pretty consistent nighttime schedule so this is out of character. Before we'd go to be around 10something, wake up for first feeding at 2something, next feeding at 5something, then 7something and then 9something and we'd finally drag our butts out of bed at 10am.

He doesn't seem to be more hungry so I wasn't thinking this was a growth spurt. Nothing else is new regarding our sleeping arrangements. I know babies aren't always consistent and he's constantly growing and changing but this is suspect. The other nights with the 2 hour wakings he seemed to be in pain or discomfort. But last night he was just extremely squirmy allll night long. No shrieks of pain, not too much grunting and pushing just very squirmy until almost 8am, then he seemed a little more uncomfortable. And last night he did eat every 2 hours but although he really seemed hungry he didn't seem to eat as much as he normally would. I'm not sure what this new trend is but I don't like it.

AND to my surprise, his beautiful, soft, perfect butt skin looks irritated. Well not his butt, specifically right around his bum hole. I saw this info on Dr. Sears:

Allergy ring - a variety of foods can irritate baby's bottom, especially acidic foods such as citrus and tomato-based sauces.
Appearance - a red ring around baby's anus.
Treatment - discontinue suspected foods. Breastfeeding moms may need to eliminate foods from their diet
.

Other sites such as kellymom.com also said a food allergy symptom is "A red rash around the anus." Great. What, is he allergic to RICE NOW?? How about it just eat some ice cubes to be on the safe side. It is mild so far but what the hell can it be since I've really tried to cut out the main culprits. Although I still drink a lot of OJ (calcium/vitamin D fortified) and Bryan has been warning me that is another risky food. I just didn't want to give up yet another thing especially when that is my main source of calcium these days. I'm starting to wonder if breastfeeding is in is best interest since so many different things are getting into his system it's hard to track. The last thing I want to be doing is making him miserable.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cara ~ You do realize that if he's having a difficult time with breastmilk that there is nothing better out there that you could give him that would resolve the issues, right? Breastmilk is gentle - nothing else is as gentle. It's very easy to second-guess yourself when you are experiencing difficulties. But have faith - you are not making him miserable!

I wouldn't worry too much about the red butt. It can sometimes be difficult to tell whether the redness around the anus is just normal or if it's a true sign of an allergy. FWIW, all 3 of my babies had that suspicious looking red bum and they do not have any allergies.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Try to stop stressing so much! Just enjoy your baby and your newfound motherhood instead of worry about everything. Things will work themselves out :)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

my son got that all the time and still gets it, that red ring.
at about 4 months he was waking up all the time, too. lots of babies and kids wake up every 2 hours to nurse, i've heard.
what i've found is this, something my pediatrician said, when I quoted something at him from a book about sleep (my pediatrician has frequently been correct, more often than books) - "there are a lot of people trying to sell books".
much of what i have read in one book or another has frequently been wrong. My pediatrician has been right quite frequently. if you have an issue, call a pediatrician you trust.
And if you still have issues, try to get an appointment with Dr. Wood, head of allergy and immunology at hopkins hospital. 1 little 2 minute skin test and we verified what Tendai was allergic to. He was our allergist but he moved offices to become head of Hopkins so now we have another, but he was really great.
anyhow my 2 cents, you can ignore it if you want :)

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home