Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The big 3-0

I am exactly 30 weeks today. It’s way more exciting then being 25 weeks or even 29. Just the sound of saying I’m now 30 weeks has a nice ring to it. I’m sooooo close, yet still so far away. It would be nice to go 2 weeks early but I’ll take what I’m given and what’s best for the baby. Whenever he’s ready, I’m ready but if he’s anything like Sloth then I’m expecting to have to yank him out on my own a few weeks late.

We had our first Childbirthing class last night. It was helpful and informative and provided some good, immature giggles at the ugly, outdated people in the video. Bryan was very inquisitive asking really good questions making the other dads look like big wooden dummies (I know I’m biased). Well one guy was definitely a dummy and I could see his wife probably wanted him to shut up. We decided to do the 3 week course instead of the 5, the only difference being in the 3 week they teach you the breathing in class but you practice at home. Whereas the 5 week you practice in the classroom. I didn’t feel that was necessary as long as I practice and it’s pretty much the same breathing I would do in Kung Fu. I was hoping to do the tour this class but it’s scheduled for next week.

I’m torn over the whole natural vs. medicated childbirth thing. I just want to say I am pro-medication for everything and I’m hardly a “natural” person. But I have a strong desire to do it naturally and I never could pinpoint why until now. It wasn’t to try to prove that I could do it naturally because I really don’t feel it proves anything that having a medicated child birth proves. (And as an upfront disclaimer, whenever I say “they won’t let you or won’t allow me to” I’m referring to my hospital/doctor only. I’m sure there is a very good chance your hospital is 10 times better than mine and will let you do whatever you want, but I’m talking here!) So anyway, the reason for my desire to attempt a natural childbirth is because I’m really into all of the natural “coping” methods. And it sounds like if you go in saying you will want an epidural, once you get it, you are pretty much confined to the bed. They won’t let you walk around, or use the birthing ball….and you can’t use the shower for the warm water relief….or even labor/birth on all 4’s or in the squatting position if I wanted to. And those are the options I’d like to try before resorting to the epidural. Not to mention that I think the last 4 out of 5 of the people I’ve known to have an epidural, said it didn’t work, only numbing half of their body and just screwed things up. I also don’t want an episiotomy unless absolutely necessary. I’ve heard the arguments “it’s better than tearing” blah blah, but I’ve also heard the arguments where you can still tear with that and then it’s far worse. I’d prefer to let nature take its course on this one. You know I’m not a fan of unsolicited advice so I hate when people automatically say “Go for the drugs” and shit like that just because they chose to or wish they had. Everyone is an expert, huh? That being said, I won’t be surprised if I’m screaming for them to put that damn needle in my back within the first 5 minutes. I’m generally such a wimp when it comes to pain. I’m just going to go in with an open mind and TRY to remain flexible. Who knows I may need a C-section and in that case the natural goes right out the window. I hate to keep saying it but I’ll do what is best for my health and the baby’s and not stress if it differs from my original plan.

I would LOVE to give birth in a birthing center instead of a hospital. I like the idea of a home birth but I don’t think I’d enjoy it in my house. I feel I’d worry about how cramped and dirty it is and I just think the birthing centers are a nice middle ground. And I think a water birth would be awesome. I know, I know the water would be all yucky and your sitting in it but I have a feeling it’s going to look like a war zone no matter what. I’ll probably vomit and poop and there is blood and other innards and cords and I don’t think you’ll be coming out clean no matter what. Maybe I’ll look into those options next time if I can get Bryan on board (and my insurance company!) I must say I’m rather surprised at my desire for the natural birth, it’s kind of out of character for me. I guess that’s what motherhood is all about, doing things you’d never thought you would do!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you wan't to try to go natural, I always wanted to but had to be induced both times. When your induced contractions come hard and fast and I caved quickly. But lets pray you go into labor on your own!. Everyone I know that went natural had better births and faster recovery. But everyones different. And when the time comes you'll make the best decision for you and baby boy! -KELLI:0)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I had an epidural with Brody, and it worked too well. I was numb for five hours afterwards. I had to have a catheter for 2 days 'cause it "stunned" (the OB's term) my bladder. Basically I couldn't pee.

I didn't get the epidural until after my water broke. Before then, the contractions were bearable. Just bad cramps. After he broke my water though, ACK!

I didn't have an episiotomy. Most of the time, as long as the doctor is willing to be patient, you don't need one. You might tear a little, but that's better than being cut. I had a small 1st degree tear that happened naturally. Episiotomies are 2nd or 3rd degree cuts. My tear never even bothered me. In fact, I didn't even know I had 3 stitches until the day I was discharged from the hospital.

Okay. Enough talk about my coochie.

30 weeks! Congrats!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Daph said...

It's so great that you're doing the research and taking classes. I went into my first pregnancy pretty much blind, and I would've made totally different choices if I would've known.

I had to be induced both times, so yeah. I was ALL ABOUT the epidural. In retrospect I would've loved to give birth at a birthing center and let my body take it's natural course.

Congrats on 30 weeks! You're on the home stretch now... whee!

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home