Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Making a very sloooow transition

Thought I'd give you all a little update on my cloth diaper experience. It's probably the slowest transition ever but a good cloth diaper is wonderful. The boy is so soft and cuddly and it has to feel better to him as well.

I haven't had much brain power with everything else going on to put into researching the style and brands I wanted plus with his nasty poops he has 100 times a day I wasn't all gung ho on wanting to break in the cloth that way. I was afraid it would also alter my poop observations which my life revolves around at the moment. And I've been having to use bum creams for his hiney hole and from what I read you shouldn't use those when using cloth?? Plus the upfront money has been tough when I've been watching my savings account dwindle due to early Xmas shopping. Anyway, enough excuses. In the meantime I tried the Tusshies GEL-FREE disposables and they suck ass. There is a reason they started putting gel in disposables I guess.

I've tried a couple very basic fitteds, nothing fancy, hand-me-downs from a friend with velcro covers and wasn't very crazy about them. I don't think the fit was good for him really and this material (I think it's just plain cotton??? have to check) allowed the wetness to be all up on him like after 1 pee. So wasn't too crazy about that. It didn't leak but it didn't seem very comfortable to me. The cover was cute though. I really like all-in-ones and I just tried out our first pocket style Fuzzibunz and I must say I loved it! I just wanted to squeeze him because his bummy was so soft and the micro-fleece material kept him nice and dry after 4 hours (I know that can be a bit long in one diaper, not the norm for us I swear!) I just used the regular micro-fibre insert that came with it. He didn't poop so I don't have a review on that but it held in the peeps very well and once again, his skin was dry to the touch unlike the fitteds I used. Not to mention they come in black. Black diapers! Wish I had these in the summer with his black onesies. This time we opted for the olive to coordinate so nicely with the babylegs we all love to love.



So bottom line, I love a good cloth diaper and they are just as easy to use as disposables, you know, aside from having to wash them. I just wish I had enough good cloth ones to make it through an entire day.

Weird thing about cloth is there are some really killer diapers out there...but then usually the really cool ones require a cover, I hate the thought of something so pretty being covered. Like the chocolate velour with mint colored stiching and snaps. Now who would want to cover that??

Now for some mad skills and a snotty smile...well smirk and some other random cuteness.


13 Comments:

Blogger fuzzypeach said...

Awwwwwwwwwww he looks great in his fuzzibunz and babylegs! We love fuzzibunz, they are our nighttime and car trip diapers.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Is it wrong that I giggled at "So bottom line, I love a good cloth diaper and they are just as easy to use as disposables, you know, aside from having to wash them." ? The BOTTOM line? Yea.. it IS wrong.

He's such a CUTIE pie! Seriously!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

SO CUTE! J is adorable in his fuzzibunz! I don't use cloth diapers and don't know too much about them, but here's two websites I know a friend of mine buys hers from. www.cottonbabies.com and www.zannadu.com

1:16 AM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

My friend used wool diapers (??) She LOVED them.

and i'm glad the cloth diaper industry is finally addressing the issue of aesthetics. I mean, who DOESN'T want to shit on chenille? (My ass could use a little micro-fleece too.)

and given your little man's poop issues, he deserves a royal cloth upon which to shart and be happy.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

cloth diapers rock!!!! :)

we loved the kushies brand...too cool... :)

and he is just so damn cute!!!

peace...

1:36 AM  
Blogger Carley said...

Yeah! More adorable pictures of J!!

I'm not in baby territory just yet, but I've always thought I'd like to try using cloth diapers, so thanks for the review. I'm interested to hear if you keep liking them or not.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah that's what I like to see in the morning lol. A cute face lol. I personally never used cloth, but my mom did all the time. In the long run would have been way the heck cheaper than these disposables.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! I love the babylegs, i wish i had some baby chubs to put them on.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

We LOVE the FuzziBunz too! I never thought I'd use cloth diapers but those pockets are just SO easy!! The only time we use the disposables now is when we'll be out for hours at a time. LOVE FB's!!!! :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger ^starshine said...

Warning Warning...ramblings from a cloth diaper fanatic ahead...

I am absolutely obsessed with cloth diapers! Todays CD is definitley not your Mama's diapers of yester year.

I love CD for the shear fact that you can reuse what you have on hand in your "system." If you don't like having the wetness against J's bum, simply cut rectangles out of fleece and lay them in the diaper. The fleece will wick the moisture away from his bum and into the cotton diaper(keeping it dry) AND if he poops, you are just dealing with a poopie rectangle instead of a whole diaper. Any fleece will work, so this is where you take that fleece blanket and start cutting it up!! I've even read some Moms buy microfleece automotive towels real cheap at Wally World (yes the store of satan) to use as doublers.

Show some love for those fitted Kissaluv's!! (Fuzzibunz always get the glory!)

3:27 PM  
Blogger ^starshine said...

let me clarify, when I say keeping it dry, I am meaning his bum and not the diaper. :)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

Starshine - Well I must try the Kissaluv's then! They look nice and soft...any cover you recommend or just any old velcro one? Where do you buy them, I normally don't have time to shop around so not sure what a good price is.

Another fellow blogger recommended cutting up some fleece too, I'll try that!

4:08 PM  
Blogger ^starshine said...

I can recommend thanksmama.com for kissaluvs or you can battle it out on ebay like I did. I went with kissaluv fitteds cause the elastic around the leg helps contain the poop. And they absolutely work great with Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. It is always hard to spend the $$$ on one diaper, but you use the sucker over and over again and you can re-sell it for almost the same price!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home