Tuesday, July 26, 2005

And this gets fun when???

When does breastfeeding become fun? Well maybe fun isn't even the right word...when does it become tolerable? I am STILL having latching issues on one side and now my good side, or former good side, is starting to hurt again! Not nearly as bad as the other side though. That one did get a little better too but it's far from correct. He's a frigin peranah, how am I ever going to continue this when the teeth actually come in! I should be better at enforcing a perfect latch but I could spend an hour or more unlatching and trying again, the boy would never eat and he gets bored of it and just refuses to latch at all if I unlatch him. And believe me at 2am that's the last thing I feel like dealing with..and at 3am, 4 am, 5 am, 6 am, and whenever else he decides he needs the milk maid.

And now we have this new trick called the lazy latch where he won't even latch on, he just kind of opens his mouth and lets the milk pour in. Why work for it if you don't have to! He smacks his lips as if to say "Bitch bring me my milk" and then lays there like I'm feeding him grapes by hand. My let-down is pretty strong so I don't blame him for not wanting to choke to death on it but it can get pretty frustrating. Oh and the clicking sound now on both sides, why did this just start?! I feel like we take 1 step forward and 100 back when it comes to the proper latch.

And I love when he falls asleep nursing but he slipped most of the way off so he just has the nipple, you know the most painful part. And he's not really eating anymore just kind of hanging on testing my pain threshold. I'm trying to break the frigin suction as I'm wincing in pain but as soon as I break it, he sucks me back in. We go through this about 10 times before I'm finally free.

I'm still scared to leave the house for fear I'll have to nurse him in public. I won't have a problem with it once we're a little more efficient. Just with our clumsiness right now I'll have my boob flopping all over the place for an hour and that's a little more exposure than I would feel comfortable with and more than the innocent bystander should have to encounter.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to give up and I am happy to be doing this for him but man cut me a break and let my nipples heal. Puuulleeeeeze!

(And for those who are considering nursing, don't let this discourage you because there are plenty of times when it's "just right" and it's priceless to look down with him snuggled so closely and see how happy you are making him. And it will get easier, so I'm told. If nothing else, the milk drunk look on his face when it's over is worth all the pain and hard work in the world.)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woman, you just put into words every last problem I had trying to get Owen to breastfeed. I wish you truckloads of luck. I hear things settle down and get easier after a couple weeks?

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh honey. I hope things work out. I didn't breast feed so I can't help ya on this one

7:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

I am absolutely no help at this point, but I am sympathizing girl. I'm sure it can't be easy. Hang in there -- hopefully it will only get easier as time goes by!
XOXOXO
Lisa

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gets easier! Soon! He will get stronger, you will get better at juggling, and your nipples will heal - I swear! I also had a quick let down (my lactation consultant told me it was like shaking up a pop bottle and sticking it in the kid's mouth!) and found it helpful to spray onto a spit-up rag until things calmed down. Worked for us until she was able to keep up with my gushing boobs.

Did you ever think you'd get a comment here that included "gushing boobs"?

Didn't think so.

Hang in there Cara!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole Fleischman said...

It gets easier, until they become mobile! Ry goes through this I want to nurse sitting, on my knees, upside down - she can be all over the place.
I don't nurse in public except on rare occasion if I MUST just cuz even after 9 months & the 3rd kid, I still end up with my boob all over the place.
It gets much easier though and more tolerant. And as long as he isn't a biter teeth don't hurt (I was deathly afraid of them coming in!). But yes get some Lanishoh stuff, does the nipples good! And as far as the let down goes, when you first let down and it's going all over the place - I would always have a towel near by so when she unlatched for a breather I could stop it. No more problems after that! After I think like a month it won't be as bad and your body will get used to not producing so much. If ya have any questions feel free to ask! This whole BF past 1 month is new to me and I only have 2 1/2 more to go! At a year the girl is going to whole milk - hubs doesn't want to share any longer =c)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I'm so sorry you're having trouble! It'll get easier, don't be too hard on yourself. You two are learning everything from scratch and it sounds like you are on the right path. It's an amazing gift you're giving your son and I think you are AMAZING!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

Thanks for all the tips guys, I just need to be patient. I have the Lanisoh and that helps some. And my personal La Leche consultant (hehe) Carol from Chaotic Harmony told me about kellymom.com too. It's all extremely helpful, we're just still, well...learning I guess!

9:00 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

We had similar probs (too-strong letdown, refusal to relatch after unlatching to correct a poor latch, developing the clicking sound after learning to latch on pretty good). The clicking went away though? I didn't do anything to correct it but whatever.

I'd say that at 6 weeks breastfeeding became easy. She learned to pretty much latch on by herself by that point, and I wasn't in pain. We still have the sputter-choke-pull off at letdown sometimes, but a towel to absorb the fastest of the flow helps.

He looks so content in the pic below:)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cara - not that I have to specifically point it out, but that clicking sound means he's not latching on properly. Your nipple isn't far enough into his mouth. And you know, babies won't work harder if they don't have to. When you try to get him latched-on are you using the "RAM" (rapid arm movement) method? If you aren't, you need to be. A lot of mom's feel this method is too rough but really, it isn't. You have to get that nipple as far into baby's mouth as you can so that he sucks properly.

As for when breastfeeding becomes fun. I don't know that I'd ever consider it "fun", lol. Maybe my idea of what is fun is a lot different than yours. Rewarding, easy and relaxing are words I associate with breastfeeding. Keep in mind that the first 6 weeks are the hardest. Get through these 6 weeks & I'll bet dollars to donuts that by then you'll have all the kinks worked out & breastfeeding will be much more enjoyable.

Go back to your basics re: positioning & latching-on. When positioning baby in the cross-cradle hold, he needs to be tummy-to-tummy with you. When you look down at him you should see ear, shoulder, hip. If you aren't, then he's not positioned properly.

99% of all nipple soreness is due to a positioning or latch problem that are both very easily correctable. The problem is that most mom's don't know how to correct it unless someone shows them. Have you called LLL to ask a Leader to make a home visit? What about the LC at your hospital? Even if you have to pay for a consultation with the hospital LC it is money well spent.

Hang in there! You'll get through it. Again, go back to the basics. Take it step by step. :)

P.S. You can try the Ivillage Breastfeeding Support board for herlp. Kelly of kellymom.com posts there as does Paula Yount from mother-2-mother.com. Here's the link: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppbreastfeed

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cara - if breastfeeding never gets better for you then there's a problem. Breastfeeding should not hurt. If it does, there's a problem and 99.9% of the time it's fairly easy to resolve. Hang in there! You're doing great & giving Julian the best. :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger the mama said...

man, i had forgotten all of those little things. it got better for us, though. just took some time.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Daph said...

It does get better, I promise. It just takes some time. You hang in there, honey. I'm sending good breastfeeding vibes your way!

XOXO

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, post #3 from me today - *blush*

I just wanted to let you know that Kelly of kellymom.com is an IBCLC. That means she's a board certified lactation consultant so she knows her stuff! But even before she got certified, she knew her stuff, lol.

6:02 PM  
Blogger KELLI BELLY said...

It always was rough the first couple of weeks for me then it's smooth sailing and second nature for you and the babe! It's also easier with #2. I put the lanisoh on em after everytime I nursed and it helped a lot. I'm thinking about you all the time and hope we can get together next week too:0)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

i recommend you get to a LL meeting or get a lactation consultant to come over to help.
that being said, it was a bit better after 3 months or so.
when the teeth came in though, he started biting for fun and i had scabby nipples... ugh. still kept up with it though.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, post #4. *sigh* Re: Biting. It happens and it can totally be prevented. Talk to me if it ever happens to you!

:)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Monique Bloedau said...

"Bitch bring me my milk" and then lays there like I'm feeding him grapes by hand."

Hey, sounds like my teenager!

And like you and your babe, it is all worth it all for an occasional hug (teenagers don't hug much) and knowing the belly it is full.

The fun never stops. Hang in there momma!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

Carol - you are so funny, I wish I had some kind of award to give you for most comments.

I do plan on getting a LC or someone out here to help me out with the latch, I just need a second to actually get their info and call.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home