Sunday, May 22, 2005

Are these all frigin' pajamas or what??

Am I the only one who doesn't understand baby clothes? They ALL look like pajamas to me; do I dress them in this stuff to go out too?? Seriously I'm not trying to be funny but I was trying to go through the clothes we have and see what else we need (more shoes!). What does sleep n' play mean? They generally have the little feet on them so I figured "okay these will be pajamas." But then I started coming across sleep n' plays without feet and they look more clothes like so I didn't know what to do with those. Why do they need sleep n' plays if they could just wear onsies and sleep in those. And onsies...is this all they will be wearing? He'll be born in July so it should be nice and toasty out so do I just put an onsie on him and that's it? Is that acceptable; is that what they are for? Or does he need pants too? How many pairs of pants should I have for his first 3 months? And socks will he need to wear socks? That seems kind of funny to me wearing socks with a onsie, like me walking around in my bra and underwear and a pair of socks. All the little baby clothes that actually resemble adult size clothing are not in newborn sizes. I understand a little pair of jeans or cargo pants are not pajamas but it's this other stuff that has me lost. And when do they wear the tight little knit, hats? I know the hospital gives them a couple but its July, should he be wearing one all the time? In the house? I'm gonna end up clothing my son to death I can see it. He'll either have too much on or not enough. As you can tell I've had very little experience with people under 12 months old.

Off topic I wanted to mention how great my husband is as preparing me for motherhood. This morning while in my deep slumber, which is very rare these days that I even remotely get into a deep sleep, I am scared shitless at this this God-awful shrieking, baby whaling at the top of its lungs. It turns out my husband sneaked into the bedroom and hid the baby monitor (which was at max volume by the way) and proceeded to cry like a baby while in the nursery. I guess he was testing my reflexes but if my baby has lungs like my husband's, I'm going to be in the insane asylum within 3 days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I remember being just as confused about clothes as you... only I didn't know how to arrange them in the various drawers...

Lily (boren in late June) wore onsies pretty much all of the time. It was too freaking hot for anything else. She NEVER wore shoes until she started using her feet and for those we kept her in soft shoes like Robeez so she could feel the floor and be able to learn to walk. Oh, we did put soft shoes on her before then when we were trying to keep socks on her and she'd yank them off. Soft shoes served to keep the socks on.

So yeah, don't worry about all the stuff. You'll figure it out as you go!

Remember, the only thing baby "needs" is you and your boobs. :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger KELLI BELLY said...

Oh my God! I can totally picture him doing that!! Thats hilarious! You guys failed to mention that over dinner. Great seeing you guys! We need to do it more often!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Well, since I'm late here, I gotta just ditto everyone else, minus Kelly since I don't ACTUALLY know your husband. :-) But he sounds JUST LIKE MINE.

Yes. Onsies. Only. We got a buttload of clothes (also, in my archives somehwere I asked this same thing.. great minds and all that). Tell people to get you OLDER clothing. 'Cause that's when you run out and want it. At first they're just potatoes with legs and arms. Also, Anne is right.. socks are pointless. Even now she just pulls them off and eats them. *sigh* I wish I could still do that.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Daph said...

I am cracking up at the baby monitor shenanigans! That's too effing funny!

As for baby clothes, both my girls were born in May, and it's hotter than hell here. Most of the time they were just in a diaper and diaper cover, sans socks or shoes. If I HAD to I would put one of those little baby t-shirts on them, and sometimes onesies. I would just wing it, and get stuff as you need it. You'll probably find that you need far less stuff than you think!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home